William B. Gonzalez
Las Vegas Family Law Attorney
Attorney William B. Gonzalez and Ana Maria, his wife of 27 years, have four wonderful children ages 14 to 26. They have made Southern Nevada "their home" since 1997. During the early years of his marriage, Attorney Gonzalez put himself through college while working full-time. Attorney Gonzalez has a Bachelor's Degree in Business from Redlands University, an MBA from the Monterey Institute of International Studies, and a Law Degree from J. Reuben Clark School of Law.
Attorney Gonzalez has been practicing law in Nevada since 1997. He enjoyed a successful career as an attorney prior to taking the family court bench. In February 2009, the Nevada Judicial Selection Commission vetted Attorney Gonzalez's experience and deemed him one of the most qualified finalists. Attorney Gonzalez was appointed to the Family Court Bench by the Governor Jim Gibbons in March of 2009. Attorney Gonzalez was one of only two Latino, Spanish-speaking family court judges.
During his five years of practice serving the community as a judge, he represented over 2,000 at risk children in the family court. Attorney Gonzalez has been helping children and families in family court on a daily basis for over 10 years (5.5 years as a judge and 5 years as an attorney). Attorney Gonzalez's hard work and efforts continue to make a positive impact on families in our community.
In January 2015 Attorney Gonzalez joined De Castroverde Law Group to lead the firm's expanding Family Law department. Attorney Alex De Castroverde had long respected and admired Attorney Gonzalez's work ad a former Family Court judge and private attorney. Attorney Gonzalez is dedicated to helping children and families in Southern Nevada and is an great asset to De Castroverde Law Group's team.
In addition to excelling in his legal profession, Attorney Gonzalez has dedicated his life to community service. He served as the Vice-Chair of the City of Las Vegas Housing Authority from June 2003 to June 2007. He has served on the Advisory Board for the Boyd School of Law Clinical Programs for the past five years. Attorney Gonzalez has also served as Boy Scout leader for local Las Vegas unit 269 for the past 14 years. He currently serves as a merit badge counselor for the citizenship in the nation and citizenship in the world merit badges. Attorney Gonzalez has served as a volunteer judge for local high school mock trial programs. He also participates in numerous educational programs for children attending at risk schools.
- Nevada State Bar - 1997
- California State Bar - 1998
- J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University - Jurs Doctor (1997)
- National Moot Court Team Director (1996)
- Merit Scholarship Recipient (1994, 1995 & 1996)
- Moot Court Team Member (1995)
- Finalist Moot Court Competition (1994)
- Monterey Institute of International Studies - MBA, International Management (1992)
- GPA 3.71, Dean's Honor List
- Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Redlands University - BS, Business and Management (1991)
- GPA 3.6, Dean's Honor List
Judicial & Legal Experience
- Family Court Judge Department F, Eighth Judicial District Court (March 2009 - December 2014)
- Presided and oversaw family domestic relations cases assigned to Department F. The majority of these cases related to matters involving divorce, child custody, child support, and adoption.
- Deputy Public Defender, Clark County Public Defender's Office (1999-2009)
- Assigned to represent indigent clients through various stages of the criminal justice system, including but not limited to, pleas, jury trials, contested hearings, dispositions, and appellate work.
- Associate Attorney, Barker, Brown, Busby, Chrisman & Thomas, P.C. (1997-1999)
- Handled all types of personal injury, property, and other casualty cases relating to insurance defense litigation. Represented clients in negotiations, depositions, arbitrations, and mediations.
- Fluent in English and Spanish